Thursday 8 September 2011

SSS Day 8, thrift dressing vs shopping malls, & a girl’s shirt dress

 

I dressed thrift chic today – although the jacket is a little tight, I love it.

P9080063

At a total price of $40, including new shoes, or $10 without, it’s not a bad outfit.  I felt positively glamorous when I went to the mall today (I needed makeup and girls shoes).  I hadn’t been in over two months, which is a good effort on my part as I work a five minute walk away. It was a bit of a shock – I ad forgotten the bright lights and the prices! $12 for a made in China chain store singlet top of questionable quality, $45 for chain store capris. How did I ever do it? I get two bags of clothes for $10, and usually something designer or unusual in that.  My jacket above is a Noni B which would have cost at least $65 new, and all I had to do was restitch a sleeve hem.  I find lots of great things at the thrift/op sop that often only need minor repairs , like a button or hem.  Why don’t more people learn how to sew?

Although there were a few well dressed people at the mall, many were in sweats, or worse leggings and tees that looked like they had come straight from the gym.  And my personal favourite, strapless tops with strappy bras –WHY?  And I felt thin! Lots of really overweight people eating hamburgers and drinking coke. If the floro lighting didn’t give me a headache I could almost go every day for a morale boost!

After work I finished a little shirt dress for Miss Six I had cut out the other day.

P9080068 P9080069

This is what it was.  A men’s shirt with a chewed up collar.  I found a simple dress in her cupboard and traced around it, making the front of the shirt the back of the dress.  I cut two top sections as facing, and sewed this on first. then just sewed the side seams and shoulder seams.

P8290186   P8290187

A perfect little dress for washing the car!

P9080076

Have a great vintage/crafty/thrifty day xx

                                                           Vintage Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment