Sunday 11 September 2011

SSS Day 11, September 11, boys jeans from big jeans & a jigsaw

It’s that day of the year that everyone remembers the events of 911.  Even those not born then, like my three youngest, but we still talk about what happened and why. 

I remember the day after, going to playgroup as normal.  I was pregnant with number 3, and to add to my sleepless nights dad had phoned to tell me that my grandmother had just died.  Hubby and I sat on the couch with the tv on in the background, as we were on the phone, late at night Australian time.  I saw images of planes flying into buildings, but with the sound down and my already grieving state, it didn’t sink in.  I was amazed at play group that everyone else was also upset and wondered how they knew about my grandmother.  Then realization hit and I was dumbfounded – I really thought it had been a movie the night before – it just didn’t seem possible. I am sure many people around the world were thinking the same thing.

t1larg.911.plant.donovan.irpt

I love this story about the remains of a plant found at ground zero that were planted and now living again. "It reminds me of how people can carry on," says the plants finder.

On to sewing.  My youngest son has the strongest fashion identity of any of my children.  He loves jeans, runners, t-shirts with cars on them, and his ‘leather’ jacket.  Occasionally I can get him into a nice shirt with a collar, or a different t-shirt.  He even wears a favourite t-shirt under his school t-shirt so he can rip the top one off as soon as the bell goes. 

For a few weeks now he has been asking for white jeans.  For some reason they don’t really make white jeans for little boys!  Last week at my favourite op-shop I found a pair of ladies 90s tencel jeans (that lovely soft denim we all loved before we realised stretch jeans were  comfier) for $1. I decided to try and cut them down to fit him.  First I got him to find a favourite pair of jeans that fit him, and then turned both them and the tencels inside out.  I placed his jeans on top of the larger ones, and traced around them on one leg and cut that side out:

P9110159   P9110160

I made the back section at the crotch a little lower, then flipped that side over and cut out the other side.

P9110161  P9110162 

I pinned and then sewed the side seams from the waistband down, and the inside leg from one cuff to the other. Then a quick try on:

P9110170   P9110171

The waist was a little tight, and I had folded over the top of one pocket, so I unpicked a bit and resewed.  The I zigged-sagged the raw edges, and hemmed the cuffs.  He was happy with the result:

P9110178  P9110180

They maybe could have been a bit longer, but you don’t want white hems on the ground.  As it was there is already a dirty mark on them in the photo, and that was just from putting them on!  After about 20 minutes he said “Mum, they are dirty and I didn’t even do anything.”  They than came off.  They may not get worn often, and I am very glad I didn’t pay a lot of money, but they were a good trial.

Meanwhile, through all my thrifting and sewing the girls are working on this weeks jig-saw – a challenge in red.  I really need another table just for jig-saws, as this one has taken all weekend and has meant eating in the lounge!

 P9110005 Almost done……

Have a great vintage/puzzling/safe day xx

                                                           Vintage Mama

Technorati Tags:

No comments:

Post a Comment