Monday 5 September 2011

Self Stitched September – Day 5 – A shirt skirt

 

Shirt waisted dresses were popular in the 50s.  They wore worn as early as the 1900s and were based on mens shirt designs. It was a simple, practical dress, and easy to make without too much fabric, although Dior with his ‘new look’ in 1947 did add a full skirt version.  It also used buttons which could be recycled from one outfit to another easier than zips, which weren’t common until the late 50s.

shirt  shirt 2

Today, however, I wore a shirt skirt – that is a skirt made from an old men’s shirt.  Here’s what I started with:

P9040061

And here’s what I ended up with (This photo was taken at the end of the ay by Miss 6, so excuse the photo an the model!)

P9050019

I just laid a narrow skirt that fit me over the shirt and cut around it then sewed the side seams an turned over a hem at the top.  I put a little elastic in at the back waist for a better fit in the hollow of the back.

If you’d like to make one with a tie belt, here is a tutorial.  I may try that next time.

The shirt was bought at the op/thrift shop for about 50 cents, so it is definitely a cheap skirt.  As to my other weekend thrift bargains, apart from the bedspreads and dressing table I wrote about  on Saturday, I found these treasures:

P9050008  P9050014

My new favourite tea cup (with last weeks tea strainer at breakfast).  I actually got two of these, no saucers but I had some old cream ones – they are English pottery, and possible pre- WWII ($1 each).  The red beauty case was $3, and the cloth belt inside it $1 (I will wear it this week with something).

Below is a little side table for the lounge room – I can fit magazines on the bottom out of the way ($5) – it does need a bit of glue, but will do for now.

P9050010  P9050009

And the favourite buy of the week, which has now replaced cartoons on tv, a foosball soccer table!!!:

P9050021  

It has no legs, so was a bargain at $10.  It is presently sitting on a low table on the front veranda. It works a bit like pinball, as you move the handles and try to get the men to kick’ a little ball,  These table were invented in the 1890s and patented 1920s, so there is a good chance that kids in the 50s played them, but maybe only in game arcades rather than at home.

This beautiful table below is a restored CHAMPION 1950 with what looks like  red Bakelite handles and chrome men.  You can find it for sale at a German site Brocantique.

table2  B989close

I’ll keep my eyes open for one!  Have happy thrifty, vintage day xx

No comments:

Post a Comment