Thursday 1 September 2011

Self Stitched September – Day 1

 

Today's clothing is the first dress I made for myself in about twenty years! I used a pattern that I thought looked a bit 50s. Unfortunately an 18 in the real world is a 22 to vogue, so good thing I checked that before cutting out!

P8210106

I did the yellow dress, in a rose print fabric that I have had for some time, which has a bit of stretch in it, which I thought would be good for the straight skirt of dress A.  I planned to do the sleeveless version for an easy entrance back into sewing, but of course I read the wrong letter of the instructions and didn’t sew around the arm holes before turning right side out and basting the bottom.  I did think about sleeves but I have a good piece of fabric left for something else and don’t want to wreck it.  Here is the bodice lined – I got the burgundy lining at the op shop for $1.50 and it will do I hope.

P8150085

Here is the skirt part with darts pinned.  I am did as my 1950s homemaker guide told me to do and pinned, then tacked and then sewed.

P8150084

I decided not to line the skirt as the fabric is quite thick.  I have been sewing a little each day, which is nice – usually I rush and sew things in one day, but it is much more relaxing this way.

Lastly I sewed the zip in with the machine, and then hand sewed the armholes and the hem.  The zip went in straight but the top ended a bit uneven, so I put on a button to hide it a bit.

P8210105

Finished! It is a little bit low cut – I think I did the shoulder seams a bit too narrow, so I will change that next time- but I wore it to work and my boss (also my husband) was quite happy!  Roses for the first day of Spring (which explains why I am so pale, and have on a cardy – bare legs were brave enough)!

P9010204

 Here is a link to my favourite fashion history site and a wonderful article about 1950s dress patterns.  Enjoy!

pat

No comments:

Post a Comment