Sunday 11 September 2011

SSS Day 10 , The salvos, Thrifting Treasures and refashioning a cardigan

 

I volunteer at the Salvation Army op/thrift shop in Mackay on Saturday mornings from 9 till 1.  It is a huge jumble of clothes, books, toys and furniture, in a beautiful old church.  

P9100004  P9100003

  P9100005

I get to meet a variety of people, including Irene, above, who I work with, and as a volunteer I get a discount, so it’s great.  I usually find something I can refashion, something that just needs a new hem or button, something I can resell on ebay, or a treasure that I just have to have.  Today's treasures are many!  A 1950s cabinet and two chairs ($65 and $15 each):

P9100008   P9110188

The cabinet fits in nicely, and I will recover the chairs, but they are soooo comfy.

.I also got some lovely 50s linen, in my favourite red, including some cute Mexican themed placemats, so I have to keep them (and only $4 each):

P9110186  P9100010

I even found a pair of red 50s gloves – that fit me! 

P9100009

I also popped into St Vinnies op shop on Friday afternoon (it’s my relaxing lunch break) and found some sewing items, such as ric rac, belt buckles, bias binding and zips (under $10 for the lot):

P9100002

Now for some sewing!

I bought a cute cardigan a few weeks ago, but it has extra long sleeves, as they do get after a few washings sometimes. I was also a bit stained, but for $1 I thought I could do something.

P8280125 

I cut off about 15cm off each sleeve, and then cut off the hem of each sleeve and reattached the cuff to the new length sleeve.  A cute little cardie for Miss Nine:

 P9110003  P9110004

(The photo is taken on the front veranda, with my window boxes in the background. Red begonias, parsley and lettuce – they need a good water!)

Back to thrifting… I am trying to find a mannequin at the op shops, for sewing and to better display the clothes for ebay.  A vintage one would be great, but they are hard to find here, and people don’t like to post them great distances. If anyone knows of one, let me know!  I have found a beautiful new one on line, and maybe if I am good Santa will bring me one!

dummy

Have a great vintage/crafty/thrifty day xx

                                                           Vintage Mama

1 comment:

  1. So many cool finds, I love the cabinet, and the sewing stuff too!

    ReplyDelete