Thursday 28 July 2011

Melbourne & The Way we Wear

 

We made it back home from Melbourne in one piece – with luggage too! Our bags got lost on the way down, due to slow planes and the need to run for the next one, but a little shopping money compensated nicely.

Melbourne was so cold though – we had the coldest night in three years of course, but most of the days were sunny so it wasn’t too bad. And the shopping – well…..

We started at Circa Vintage in Gertrude Street, Fitzroy.  I have mentioned this shop before, but I have only ever visited the website.  The shop is a must see – beautifully laid out with everything a vintage girl, or guy, could wish for.  As well as the clothes, there are hats, shoes and bags, ties and cufflinks, stockings and gloves, and some corsetry, as well as hair setting spray and of course owner Nicole Jenkins book ‘Love vintage’. I was gong to order the book online, but stepping into the shop and meeting Nicole was much nicer! Ms Jenkins looked glamorous with her victory rolls, as she busily explained the workings of the shop to a work experience student – lucky girl!

The book is a must for anyone into vintage, especially in Australia.  You can order a copy here for about $50.

P7220011  P7220010

I didn’t get a photo of the shop (too excited I think), but here is a photo of a lovely building in Brunswick street (around the corner from Gertrude Street), and one of my two eldest and MIL having lunch in the Melbourne sunshine, with a lovely waiter.  If you are going to Melbourne, you must go to Brunswick Street – great fashion, lots of vintage and quirky stores, and great food.

P7290008  

The ‘Way we Wear’ vintage fair at the Williamstown Town Hall (the reason I braved Melbourne in winter) was amazing.  Not only because of the vendors,  who had everything from fur coats and 50s frocks to vintage jewellery and Edwardian finery, but also for the display of Titanic era clothing.

P7230035

P7230034 

My daughter Chloe hiding behind a rack of gorgeous coats

P7230033

Me trying on a beautiful vintage fur ($350)

P7230031

Part of the Titanic exhibit

P7230036

Chloe looking at the exhibit with a lovely vintage dressed lady behind her

P7230032

Detail of one of the Titanic outfits – the centenary of the disaster is next April, and there will be a dinner at the town hall. You can get more information and book tickets here.

P7290007

After three laps of the hall and oohing and aahing over everything, we only bought some vintage curtains and an apron, although I did think seriously about an art deco dressing table set in inlaid timber for only $125.  Then we found out there was a second room!  Here were more trinkets, memorabilia,  magazines and patterns plus retro and vintage home wares from the 1940’s to 1980’s.  I came away with a set of late 50s hot rollers, a few magazines and cookbooks, a set of sandwich cake tins (so I can try that Victoria sandwich cake again) and a cute tea cosy.

P7230041

Isn’t it darling? It is a pattern called ‘Sunrise’, which I am sure I have seen in one of my vintage magazines.

We didn’t buy any dresses – it was too cold to try anything on, and I decided I really need to lose a lot of weight before I fit into anything really nice!  It did inspire me to get sewing for summer though.

We walked around Williamstown, which, If you haven’t been to you must visit.  It is like a little country town, but so close to the city.  The op-shop was fabulous too, and cheap – I found a beautiful little old jug with paintings of oranges on it for $3 (it came home safely in carry on). 

P7290001 My jug and curtains – so cute!

P7230039

Me in Williamstown, with my 50s leopard print jacket (ebay) and Dangerfield cat’s eye’s sunny’s – the marina in the back ground

We found the station – it is the end of the line and so very quiet. 

P7230040

If I ever move back to Melbourne, I would love to live in Williamstown.  I doubt if I could afford the price tag however!

More Melbourne photos tomorrow,

have a lovely 50s day xxx Deb

No comments:

Post a Comment